An Mailbox is the part of a memory on the mail server that is used to receive and store e-mail from users that was sent to an e-mail address associated with a certain mailbox. POP3 or IMAP protocols are used for delivery of mail.
See also the article Mail boxes. Technical details (ISPmanager).
In this module you can add new mailboxes, edit existing ones, enable or disable them, configure the Microsoft Outlook Express parameters.
- View a list of mailboxes
- Create new mailbox
- Edit mailbox parameters
- Edit auto-responder parameters
- Email filtering
- Delete mailbox
- Purge mailbox
- Enable the selected mailbox
- Disable the selected mailbox
- Microsoft Outlook Express configuration
- List filter
View a list of mailboxes
- Name - mailbox name.
- Status - current status and properties of the mailbox:
- - the selected mailbox is active.
- - the selected mailbox is not active.
- - the auto-responder is active.
- - incoming e-mail will be forwarded to another mailbox.
- - Spamassassin is active for this mailbox.
- - Spamassassin is not active for this mailbox.
- - Greylisting is active for this mailbox.
- - Greylisting is not active for this mailbox.
- Size - disk space (used/limit).
Create new mailbox
To add a new mailbox, click the "New" icon and fill out the form:
- Name - enter the name for the mailbox. This is the part of the e-mail address before the @ sign. You can use letters, digits and the - and . signs.
- Domain - select the domain name for this mailbox.
- Alias(es) - enter the name of the alias(es) that you want to add for this mailbox. You can add unlimited number of aliases, space separated.
- Password - provide the password to access the mailbox.
- Re-enter password - retype the password to ensure that it has been entered correctly.
- Size - enter the maximum amount of disk space that can be used by this mailbox.
- Send a copy to - enter the e-mail address where all incoming e-mail messages will be forwarded to. You can add unlimited e-mail addresses, space separated.
- Don't save incoming e-mails - check the box if you do not want to save received e-mail messages in this mailbox. This option can only be used when forwarding is active.
- Enable greylist - check the box to activate Greylisting. If you run Exim the check box is selected by default when creating a mailbox. More information about can be found in the article Greylisting.
- Enable SpamAssassin - select the check box to activate Spamassassin to check incoming e-mail.
This tab is displayed if the anti-spam tool is active in the Applications module.
- Email limit - provide the maximum number of email messages that can be sent from this mailbox per hour.
Notes Field for additional information related to the mailbox.
Edit mailbox parameters
To edit a mailbox, locate the mailbox you wish to edit, click the "Edit" icon and modify the settings you want to change.
Note: the "Name" and "Domain name" fields are not included into the edit form, because you cannot edit the mailbox's name and its domain name.
Edit auto-responder parameters
This function can be used to automatically send response messages. This can be useful, if you cannot check you mailbox.
You may use the auto-responder to leave vacation notices, notifications and technical messages for your clients.
To add a new auto responder, select the mailbox, click the "Responder" icon and fill out the form:
- From - enter the name of the sender of the message and e-mail address that will be used as a sender address in the auto-responder's message, such as firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Subject - enter a subject of the auto-responder's message.
- Message - enter the text that should appear in the auto-responder’s message. Leaving this field blank will disable the auto-responder.
- Enable auto-responder - check the box to activate the auto-responder.
To delete a mailbox, select it from the list and click the "Delete" icon. Confirm that you want to delete the mailbox by clicking "OK" in the following form.
The function is used to delete the messages of the mailbox. Select the required mailbox and click the "Clear" icon. Confirm that you want to delete all the messages from the mailbox by clicking "OK" in the following form.
Microsoft Outlook Express configuration
With this function you may configure your Microsoft Outlook Express mail client manually or automatically. To download Microsoft Outlook Express settings for automatic configuration select the required mailbox and click the "Outlook" icon. The following form will be displayed:
- Outlook Express (POP3) - click the link for auto configuration of a POP3 mailbox in Microsoft Outlook Express. Once you have downloaded the file, you will have to execute it.
- Outlook Express (IMAP) - сlick the link for auto configuration of an IMAP mailbox in Microsoft Outlook Express. Once you have downloaded the file, you will have to execute it.
Follow the instructions for Microsoft Outlook Express mailbox parameters manual configuration:
- User name - specify the value in the mailbox account's settings.
- Incoming mail server - specify the value in the incoming mail server settings (POP3 or IMAP).
- Outgoing mail server - specify the value in the outgoing mail server settings (SMTP).
If you failed to configure Outlook Express using the script, refer to the article Configuring Outlook Express to configure it manually.
You can use the list filter to search the information about mailbox by specific parameters. To initiate searching, click the "Filter" icon and fill out the form. You do not need to fill out all the fields. This search can be carried out by the mailbox name, its current status, email domain or size.
Once the filter is set, the list will be filtered by the selected mailbox. You can clear the filter that you have previously set by clicking the "Remove filter" button.